Tuesday, January 19, 2010

280ish Hands @ 5NL

After reviewing my play earlier today at 10NL, I reassured myself that I didn't play too poorly.

  • 2 x AA vs. Underpairs
  • KK vs. AA
  • Full house vs. Full house
  • Set over Set
In 3 of them I lost 100bb, we weren't deep-stacked, so I guess I had to go with some of the decisions. My KK vs. AA all-in preflop, reminds me of the Sammy Farha vs. Barry Greenstein hand. Sammy had Kings and Greenstein had Aces. The blinds were 300/600 w/100 Antes. They both got it all-in preflop and created a pot of $361.8k. Farha with his Kings, went all-in preflop with around 300BBs. Is it right to go all-in preflop with KK that deep-stacked? I don't know if I would stack off with KK preflop sitting behind 300BBs. Well I did stack off today with KK, luckily I only lost 100BBs.

So I climbed back on the horse or maybe pony I shall say, and took a stab at 5NL. There were 2 memorable hands that I remember.

9To vs. 77...


Picked up 9To in LP. Cut-off and Button were tight players, so I knew if I called, I'd most likely win the Button. Also we have players playing with around 200BBs, so I see it worthwhile to play these suited connectors in position. 8d4h7d flop. Villain bets 1/2 pot, I call. Another 4c falls on the turn. 1/2 pot bet by Vill again. I'm thinking he could have an 8x, trip 4s, 7x, flush draw. I have 2 over-cards and an open-ended straight draw, so I look him up on his turn bet. Little do I realize that I'm drawing dead. One of the best cards in the deck falls for Villain on the river, a Jack of clubs, completing my straight. If it was a blank, Jd or 6d, I might have saved half a buy-in. Only when he re-re-raised me on the river, I got the bad news. Thought for awhile and paid him off. Maybe in the old days, I would do something crazy and shove, but at least I didn't do that now.

55 vs. QTs


At least this hand made me some profit. Pretty much never folding a set here. He'll rarely have a higher set and he would have raised preflop with QQ. Finished up $3 or so.

The End.

4 comments:

James McCarthy (omgjtt) said...

Whats up noname. I am going to check out your blog. Keep up the updates coming. What did you start your bankroll with?

noname said...

I started with $20 that a friend shipped me in 2009. Ran it up to about $500, in 2 months or so playing $6.50 turbos on stars. Cashed a lot of it out because I needed money at the time. Lots a bunch of buy-ins and stopped playing for a long time. Started playing again with $60 in december @ 5NL.

Before I ran $5 I won in a freeroll to about $900, in 7 or 8 months. Playing $10 SNGs and 25NL. Hit a downswing in 25NL, pressure got to me, plus I had 1 semester left of college, so I cashed out and paid for a few classes. Decided education outweighed poker.

James McCarthy (omgjtt) said...

Very nice. The one hand were you did not reraise with a the strait makes a big difference. You lose 65 BB's instead of 100BB's. You save 35BBs each time you do this. That's a lot of big blinds saved at the end of the year. Good luck

noname said...

Thanks James. I've learned not to get too crazy without the nuts. In the past I might have shoved. After re-raised me, it just screamed boat or bluff. And it definitely didn't seem like a bluff. Maybe one day, I could fold in those spots.